Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Food Trip!

I LOVE FOOD...


... But I'm a picky eater. How's that?!

Despite my being a picky eater, I'm still a couple of pounds overweight (Now, don't react, it's my article! I can be slim if I wanted to since I'm writing this. Hehehe.)

Where was I? Food. I love food that I have slowly learned my way in the kitchen, literally from scratch. Before, I tried cooking pakbet (veggies sauteed in shrimp paste) without sauteeing the garlic in oil. I sauteed it directly on the pan and I wondered why it was burning!!! Before, I couldn't bear to touch fresh fish or meat because they were so icky. During my "unenlightened days", I try not to directly handle fresh meat. If necessary, I used touch, wash, clean, cut or chop those bloody things with only two, or at most, three fingers in each hand.

I used to jump, look for a shield or panic when the bubbling oil starts to pop from the pan. And I used to think that waiting for rice to be cooked is a real waste of time.

Good thing I followed the light and saw the kitchent! I realized that cooking is not only fun, it is therapeutic and if done with love, the joy and warmth emanates from the food you are serving.

What I do is that I search for recipes (from cook books, newspapers, internet, ask people who have been cooking for decades, or wherever) and tinker with them. Sometimes, the first try is a hit, then at the second attempt, the taste is a lot different from the first time, or the texture is not the same, so I for a third attempt and so on. Every cooking experience is a learning process; that's what I have realized.

Here are a few of my experiments:

1. PUTO




Ingredients: flour, egg whites, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, salted eggs

(Thank you, Google, for the recipe)
Calories: Unknown








2.FISH FILLET IN BEER BATTER AND FRIES





Ingredients for the fish: fish fillet, salt, pepper, flour, egg, baking powder, beer
For the fries: potatoes, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, marjoram

(Special thanks to Videojug for the recipe)

Calories: A bit high because of the batter and because it is deep fried.
The use of canola oil lessens the guilt a bit.



3. SPAGHETTI IN BACON AND MUSHROOM WHITE SAUCE


Ingredients: Spaghetti noodles, bacon, mushroom, butter, garlic, cream of mushroom, all purpose cream, thyme, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary (cream cheese optional)

Yum yum!!

(Thanks, Margaux, for giving your recipe for this. I tinkered with the ingredients.)

Calories: DON'T ASK!!!


4. SHRIMP KEBABS




Ingredients: Shrimps (marinated in kalamansi, olive oil, butter, garlic, dill, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper), onions, green and red bell peppers.

Calories: I ate them all before I could count the calories.

(My own invention...)





To be continued on a future blog...

No comments: